I have a rather strange addiction with cheese. It's not something that developed recently. I remember when my mum used to bake pizzas when I was a child, I'd always sneak up now and then and steal some of the freshly grated mozzarella cheese conveniently, believing she was absolutely unaware of it! And my pizza was not good enough if it wasn't loaded with cheese! Of course, little did I know then that there was so much more to cheese than just 'pizza cheese' or 'sandwich cheese' that always came as ready made slices wrapped in little plastic covers.
How is it possible to NOT like cheese?! Unless you're lactose intolerant of course! (as a friend of mine promptly pointed out recently) When I go to Subway and I see people consciously not wanting cheese in their subs, it almost hurts me! Without cheese, your sub is incomplete! Even if you're on a super-model diet!
I think cheese is existent in almost every cuisine and culture, and each one adapts it so brilliantly to complement it's local tastes. I can't think of any cheese I don't like- except blue cheese, which, let me warn you, is definitely not pleasant at all! I've tasted different kinds of cheese and needless to say I find that cheese that are produced authentically in countries known for their dairy are obviously the best! The first time I tasted foreign cheese was when I was 17, in Wisconsin- America's dairyland. It included Pepperjack, Colby, Montery Jack, and Brick cheese, amongst others. There started my quest to taste different cheeses! Another time was when a good friend brought some Swiss Gruyère from Switzerland and I instantly fell absolutely in love with it! Ofcourse, any good cheese tastes best with some good red wine. It's an experience by itself.
And how can I not mention Paneer- our very own Indian cheese! Also having lived in the Middle East, I love cheese that's used in Arabic food, like Jibneh cheese and Sorke with Zatar.
All in all, I thought I had to write about my love, passion and constant craving for cheese! Apparently there are more than a thousand known cheeses. I hope to have tasted most of it one day! And believe it or not there's a term for people like me. That's right, I'm a turophile! And no, my fancy for cheese has not driven me to invent strange sounding terminology!!
How is it possible to NOT like cheese?! Unless you're lactose intolerant of course! (as a friend of mine promptly pointed out recently) When I go to Subway and I see people consciously not wanting cheese in their subs, it almost hurts me! Without cheese, your sub is incomplete! Even if you're on a super-model diet!
I think cheese is existent in almost every cuisine and culture, and each one adapts it so brilliantly to complement it's local tastes. I can't think of any cheese I don't like- except blue cheese, which, let me warn you, is definitely not pleasant at all! I've tasted different kinds of cheese and needless to say I find that cheese that are produced authentically in countries known for their dairy are obviously the best! The first time I tasted foreign cheese was when I was 17, in Wisconsin- America's dairyland. It included Pepperjack, Colby, Montery Jack, and Brick cheese, amongst others. There started my quest to taste different cheeses! Another time was when a good friend brought some Swiss Gruyère from Switzerland and I instantly fell absolutely in love with it! Ofcourse, any good cheese tastes best with some good red wine. It's an experience by itself.
And how can I not mention Paneer- our very own Indian cheese! Also having lived in the Middle East, I love cheese that's used in Arabic food, like Jibneh cheese and Sorke with Zatar.
All in all, I thought I had to write about my love, passion and constant craving for cheese! Apparently there are more than a thousand known cheeses. I hope to have tasted most of it one day! And believe it or not there's a term for people like me. That's right, I'm a turophile! And no, my fancy for cheese has not driven me to invent strange sounding terminology!!

No comments:
Post a Comment