There are certain subjects/topics I prefer not to touch with anyone besides myself- solely because I think they're sensitive, and however argued, everyone is entitled to think and believe whatever they want to.
Religion is one such area. Honestly, as much as I enjoy learning more about religion (mine and others), I don't like discussing it with anyone. Even as part of a friendly conversation. Everyone has different views about it and I don't think it should stand as a basis of judging an individual on any level- which is what it inevitably does once you express your views about it.
Then why am I talking about it now? Well certain people I know indirectly ran it across me recently how the religion they follow was certainly the one that makes most sense, and all other religions are rather full of nonsense. I was far from being offended by their remarks and beliefs given that I'm not religious at all. Infact I felt sorry for their smallness and insecurity.
I believe, surely, and follow the very basics of my religion maybe- but I'm not religious at the least. Yet I find it infuriating when people talk about their religion and compare it to others, not with the intention of pointing out a difference or praising a similarity, but to ridicule the others just to prove that because they belong to a particular following, they're morally and generally far superior than everyone around them.
These are the people who also think that just because they believe in certain concepts and follow certain restrictions, they are free of sin. So forgetting basic human principles and courtesy, showing common disrespect, hypocrisy and dissing other people's beliefs is definitely going to win them their ticket to heaven?!
Sometimes I think the whole concept of religion has been evolved by us to involve less of the Gods, and more of human narrow mindedness and fanaticism. How does ignoring things like honesty, compassion, empathy, and assuming someone is inferior based of their race, sex or religion make you a good human being, just as long as you pray ten times a day? We have conveniently conceptualised the degree of sin that will qualify as a sin or otherwise and assume that that's what the Gods think too. And just because you think its a sin, and someone else doesn't, or vice versa- you're definitely going to hell!
I don't care if I'm being judged for not being religious or for believing or not believing in a particular way of life. If you can't be humane and answer to basic human ethics, your beliefs mean zilch because at the end of the day, you are your religion.
Religion is one such area. Honestly, as much as I enjoy learning more about religion (mine and others), I don't like discussing it with anyone. Even as part of a friendly conversation. Everyone has different views about it and I don't think it should stand as a basis of judging an individual on any level- which is what it inevitably does once you express your views about it.
Then why am I talking about it now? Well certain people I know indirectly ran it across me recently how the religion they follow was certainly the one that makes most sense, and all other religions are rather full of nonsense. I was far from being offended by their remarks and beliefs given that I'm not religious at all. Infact I felt sorry for their smallness and insecurity.
I believe, surely, and follow the very basics of my religion maybe- but I'm not religious at the least. Yet I find it infuriating when people talk about their religion and compare it to others, not with the intention of pointing out a difference or praising a similarity, but to ridicule the others just to prove that because they belong to a particular following, they're morally and generally far superior than everyone around them.
These are the people who also think that just because they believe in certain concepts and follow certain restrictions, they are free of sin. So forgetting basic human principles and courtesy, showing common disrespect, hypocrisy and dissing other people's beliefs is definitely going to win them their ticket to heaven?!
Sometimes I think the whole concept of religion has been evolved by us to involve less of the Gods, and more of human narrow mindedness and fanaticism. How does ignoring things like honesty, compassion, empathy, and assuming someone is inferior based of their race, sex or religion make you a good human being, just as long as you pray ten times a day? We have conveniently conceptualised the degree of sin that will qualify as a sin or otherwise and assume that that's what the Gods think too. And just because you think its a sin, and someone else doesn't, or vice versa- you're definitely going to hell!
I don't care if I'm being judged for not being religious or for believing or not believing in a particular way of life. If you can't be humane and answer to basic human ethics, your beliefs mean zilch because at the end of the day, you are your religion.

No comments:
Post a Comment